Tuesday, August 27, 2013

August 27, 2013.

Syria's Alawite Force Turned Tide for Assad

"Look at him working away in the lunch hour," said Parsons, nudging Winston. "Keenness, eh? What's that you've got there, old boy? Something a bit too brainy for me, I expect. Smith, old boy, I'll tell you why I'm chasing you. It's that sub you forgot to give me."

HOMS, Syria----Mounir and Samir Fandi, twin brothers from this central Syrian city, had ordinary lives before the start of civil war more than two years ago.

"Which sub is that?" said Winston, automatically feeling for money. About a quarter of one's salary had to be earmarked for voluntary subscriptions, which were so numerous that it was difficult to keep track of them.

Mounir worked as a technician at the country's telephone company. Samir was a traffic cop.

"For Hate Week. you know----the house-by-house fund. I'm treasurer for our block. We're making an all-out effort----going to put on a tremendous show. I tell you, it won't be my fault if old Victory Mansions doesn't have the biggest outfit of flags in the whole street. Two dollars you promised me."

Life for the 40-year-old brothers changed abruptly 20 months ago. Their 85-year-old father and another brother were killed by rebels at a fake checkpoint in Hom----the Fandis believe for no other reason than belonging to the Alawite minority that dominates the Syrian regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment