Thursday, November 21, 2013

November 21, 2013.

Karzai Says He Won't Sign U.S. Deal

"How did you find that out?"

KABUL----Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Thursday that the crucial security deal with the U.S. should be deferred until after his successor is elected, a surprise move that may scuttle the just-reached agreement altogether.

"I expect I'm better at finding things out than you are, dear. Tell me, what did you think of me before that day I gave you the note?"


"The agreement should be signed when the election is conducted, properly and with dignity," Mr. Karzai told the Loya Jirga assembly that he convened to consider the deal. "There is mistrust between me and America. I don't trust them, and they don't trust me," he added after showing the delegates a letter he said he received from President Barack Obama.

He did not feel any temptation to tell lies to her. It was even a sort of love-offering to start off by telling the worst.

Mr. Karzai is slated to step down after presidential elections that are currently scheduled for April. Many Afghan politicians, however, believe the vote is likely to be postponed as Mr. Karzai seeks to steer a preferred successor into office, leaving little time for the security deal to be implemented before the U.S.-led coalition's mandate expires in December 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment